Tuesday 10 September 2013

V&A trip, insta obsession and Markus Lupfer


On Sunday I decided to give myself an overdue gallery/museum fix and went on a visit to the V&A. I absolutely love it there and have been waiting for ages for them to get their Fashion and Textiles section back up and running. It seemed a perfect time to go and visit as it's literally right next door to my church in South Kensington.

Not only are the exhibits in the museum amazing, I also love the interior architecture  the carved stone arches and the decorative ceiling domes. The carved patterns in the stonework are so inspirational and I could see them being easily interpreted into repeat fabric prints.

It seems that on every trip to the V&A something new catches my attention and, although I am predominantly a textile/fashion designer, it was the detailed architectural sketches made up of tiny lines and the curling wrought iron that caught my attention the most. 

The keys in the iron section of the museum were of particular interest to me and I was amazed by how intricate the handles were, definitely puts our dull minimalist style keys to shame.


I got a little bit carried away instagramming while I was there - I have only just discovered the instagram app and am now completely hooked. It's such a great way to record everything from image research to memories and I love the different filters you can add to your photos. Anyway, If any wants to follow me on instagram I've put the link below so you can see all of the above images and the information that goes with them:





Markus Lupfer is a London based designer whose designs were recently brought to my attention at work. His collection of sequin trims on knitted jumpers are a great way to interpret print into knitwear. I have really enjoyed experimenting with this technique at work and can't wait to see what the samples look like! 


No comments: